Undersun Fitness’ Frequently Asked Questions
Resistance Bands have most of the same benefits as traditional free weights, and even a few advantages.
Let’s first let's look at how they are similar:
- Both provide progressive resistance, meaning that as you get stronger you can progress to heavier levels of resistance in order to continue making strength gains (progressive overload).
- Both allow for variable-speed, meaning that you can perform your reps at different speeds (both fast and slow) to create either more or less time under tension for each rep and set.
- The last major difference is the free-range of motion or movement. Unlike machines where you are locked into a plane of movement, with both bands and free weights you can move freely in any plane.
Now let’s dive into the advantages of resistance bands:
- Unlike free weights where the resistance is fixed throughout the range of motion, in an exercise, resistance bands create what is called Linear Variable Resistance. The more you stretch a band, the more resistance it creates. This “variable resistance” more closely matches the natural strength curve of your muscles, where you are typically weaker at the start of a movement and stronger toward the end.
- Bands also have Resistance in Multiple Planes. Free weights only create resistance in the vertical plane, as they resist the force of gravity. For example, with any chest exercise you have to lay on a bench in order to press the weight up. With bands you can do a chest exercise standing, sitting, laying down or probably even on your head if you really wanted to.
- When using free weights, there are many exercises where you don’t get Resistance Through the Full Range of Movement. A great example is doing biceps curls. As you near the top of the range of motion, your arms are in a somewhat locked position, which takes tension off your biceps. Like we talked about with variable resistance, you want to get more tension at the peak of a movement, not less. When using bands you get maximum tension even at the peak of contraction.
- The next benefit is one that it’s easy to dismiss, but in fact it actually may be one of the most important – and that is by training with bands you are far Less Likely to Cheat Your Reps. Let’s go back to our example of doing biceps curls. This is one exercise where we’ve all seen someone swing their body to get those reps. By swinging you are using momentum to help get the weight up, instead of forcing your muscles to take on the full load. With bands you cannot create momentum, so even if you wanted to swing your body it would be pointless. This forces you to use better form and make your biceps do the work not your low back. Another added benefit of this is that with less cheating (which means bad form) it drastically reduces the chance of injury. Remember that progress isn’t just about moving forward – it’s also about not moving backwards, which is exactly what happens when you get injured.
The last two benefits of bands over free weights are simple. Bands are light-weight and portable,which means that you are no longer confined or limited to just training in the gym. Now you can take your workouts anywhere you want to go (and won’t ever have to wait for someone to get off a bench)and since you don’t have to go to the gym, you can also potentially save a ton of money on gym memberships. You would be blown away at the statistics on what Americans spend on gym memberships each year.
Here's a quick reference chart of how resistance bands stack up against free weights:
To make it easy to follow the program we’ve created a calendar on the main page, after login in, with all 12-weeks of the program. The workout and rest days are already scheduled in for you, so all you need to do for each workout is click on the appropriate day. That will take you directly to your workout for the day. When you’ve completed the workout click the “FINISHED” button. Each time you log in you will be taken back to this same main calendar page.
The great thing about Undersun Resistance bands is they are small, lightweight and portable. Throw them in your backback, suitcase or over your shoulder, and take them wherever you want to go. The drawsting bag, with all 5 bands, compresses to roughly 14” long x 8” wide and 4’ deep. The total weight is less than 3 pounds.
HIIT is an acronym that stands for High Intensity Interval Training. In traditional cardio, such as a treadmill, you maintain a steady heart-rate throughout the workout. In HIIT training you do rounds of higher-intensity exercise, elevating your heart-rate, followed by a period of rest to bring your heart-rate back down. HIIT is highly effective for burning calories both during the workout, and even a "post-workout burn" of up to 2 hours. The HIIT rounds in the TA2 program include 1-minute of high-intensity exercise, followed by 30-seconds of rest.
The TA2™ program consists of alternating rounds of HIIT and TABATA, utilizing Undersun Resistance Bands. Each round is made up of multiple exercises, each targeting specific muscle groups. The sequence of each round is designed to maximize the energy and intensity of the workout, yet provide adequate recovery time. These workouts are short in overall time but are fun and highly effective.
According to the American Latex Allergy Association, a national non-profit organization that provides educational information about latex allergy, less than 1% of the general population in the US has an allergy to natural latex.
If you have an intolerance to natural latex products you may not be able to use Undersun Resistance Bands. If you choose to use the bands anyway, it is recommended that you cover exposed skin with gloves, a long sleeve shirt, and pants. For more information on Latex Allergies please visit latexallergyresources.org
Getting started is as easy as a few simple steps:
Step 1: Click on the “Workout” tab on the top menu of the Undersun website and login
Step 2: Click on the “PROGRAM OVERVIEW” for step by step instructions on how to follow the program. If you have additional questions you can click on the “FAQ” button
Step 3: If you’re ready, click the “START WORKOUT” button
Step 4: On the workout calendar, click Day 1, which will take you to your first workout
At Undersun we appreciate the outdoors, so protecting the environment is important to us, which is why we chose to use Natural Latex. Not only is natural latex a renewable resource but it’s also biodegradable and recyclable.